Connection rangeSince you must always keep Controller close to your smartphone, when we talk about "PETFON range" we're referring to the distance between Controller and Tracker(s). On the other hand, the Controller and the Tracker(s) are connected via RF, using LoPowan - a proprietary communication protocol developed by PETFON - and their connection will be as strong as less obstacles exist between them:
- High connection range: up to 3.5 miles (5.5 kilometers) in open, outdoor environments.
- Low connection range: up to 0.65 miles (1.05 kilometers) in congested areas; the indoor use is not recommended.
- Smartphone ↔️ Controller: communication via Bluetooth, within 2 yards (2 meters). Therefore, you must always keep the Controller and your smartphone very close to each other!
- Controller ↔️ Tracker: communication via RF (using our proprietary LoPowan protocol), with an estimated range depending on the surrounding environment.
GPS accuracyWe strongly advise you to visit the Official GPS Website, that clearly explains how the GPS technology works, not only for PETFON but for any other device that features GPS technology (like other GPS dog trackers and smartphones). Basically, the Official GPS Website states that GPS accuracy depends on the amount of obstacles between the GPS satellites and the device itself (which, in our case, is the Tracker). In sum, here are some key points stated in the above-mentioned website that will tell you the GPS accuracy you should expect for different use cases (this information influences the performance of regular Map tracking, Radar, History and GPS fences):
- Good GPS accuracy: open outdoor areas (beaches, national parks or urban squares).
- Bad GPS accuracy: very dense areas (impenetrable forests or very crowded urban environments, with a high amount of obstacles); cloudy weather; the indoor use case is not advisable.